Four Fabulous Baby Shower Games & Activities

The hardest part of planning the baby shower that I recently hosted was coming up with some fun games and activities that hadn’t been done a thousand times over. The ones that I came up with won’t blow you away with their creativity but they absolutely made for a great time at the shower and resulted in some special mementos being created for the mom-to-be.

1. Name That Baby
For “Name That Baby”, email your guests prior to the shower and ask them to bring a baby pic with them (and not show it to anyone else). Once all of your guests have arrived, display  all of the pics with a number by each one. (You can post them on a bulletin board, lay them out on a table, or hang them on the refrigerator with numbered magnets like I did):

Have paper and pencils available for your guests and have them write down their guesses for who each baby is. The shower guest who correctly IDs the most babies wins! It’s a great low-key game to play at the beginning of a shower because guests can wander over to look at the pictures in between grabbing a drink and munchies and/or catching up with friends.

2. Daddy Knows Best (via video)
Prior to the shower, videotape the expectant dad answering a series of questions. The ones that I asked are:

• What has been {expectant mom’s} biggest food craving during the pregnancy?
  • What’s the one word that would best describe {expectant mom’s} mood while pregnant?
  • Do you think your baby will be born with no hair, a full head of hair, or in between?
  • How many diapers do you think your baby will go through in the first year?
  • What are you going to be most worried about if the baby is a girl?
  • What about if it’s a boy?
  • What parenting skills are you bringing to the table?
  • What percentage of the time do you think you will get up with the baby at night versus the percentage of time that {expectant mom} will get up?
  • Are you or {expectant mom} more likely to be the parent who says “no”?
  • Which grandparent will spoil your baby the most?

• Besides you and {expectant mom}, which family member will be your baby’s favorite?
  • What year do you think you will buy your first minivan?
  • How many happy hours do you expect to go to the first year after the baby is born?
  • How many times a month do you think you will hang out with your friends who don’t have kids?
  • From 1-10 how prepared do you feel for the baby’s arrival (with 10 being most prepared)?
  • What are you most looking forward to about being a dad?

At the baby shower, gather everyone around and play the video of the expectant dad on a computer or TV, pausing it after each question is asked so the mommy-to-be can guess her husband’s answer. Talk about entertaining! We all got some great laughs out of this one. And the video makes a great momento for the couple to watch years down the road.

3. Wishes for the New Baby
Give each shower guest a sheet with “Baby Wishes” to fill in (for a printable PDF of the navy & green sheet click {here}, pink sheet click {here}, and blue sheet click {here}). Collect them at the end of the shower and give all of the endearing baby wishes to the expectant mom!

4. Late Night Diapers
For “Late Night Diapers”, give each shower guest a few diapers and some fine tipped permanent markers and ask them to write a message to the new mom on the front and/or back of the diapers. Use a brand of diapers that has a more cloth-like feel on the outside such as Pampers Baby Dry rather than diapers with a more slick material. These diapers are to be reserved for late night changings by mom so the point is to write something funny or encouraging to give her a little pick-me-up in the wee hours of the night! Put all of the decorated diapers in a basket that has this “Late Night Diapers” sign attached (click {here} for this printable sign):

Update: Due to so many requests for Late Night Diapers signs in colors other than navy and yellow, I’ve created several more! Find the free printables for these new signs {here}!

My shower guests came up with some fun messages for their diapers – these are a few of my favorites:

No doubt that these (and a few of the other funny diapers that were a bit too PG-13 to show!) will give new mom a few laughs during those bleary-eyed middle of the night diaper changes. There were also many diapers with sweet, encouraging messages that I know she’ll appreciate such as “Enjoy me, I’ll grow up fast!” and “Don’t ever doubt what a great mom you are”. I can’t wait for the little guy/gal to get here – given that ALL twelve kids on our cul-de-sac are girls, I’m dying to know if our girl count will go up to 13 or if we’ll have the first boy born on our street in over fifteen years!! (Update: Guess what? Another girl!)

Comments

1. Anonymous says

My son and daughter in law got the diapers with messages on them at their shower. It was a cute idea, but the permanent marker rubbed off on the babys legs and it looked like she was all bruised. Needless to say, they had alot of unused diapers with alot of writing on them. Kinda wasteful.

2. Anonymous says

I feel like the sharpies smear alittle. Is there a certain type of diaper to use. Has anyone done this and what diaper and type of writing utensil did you use? Thanks for your help!

• says

The Sharpies do bleed a little into the diaper but if you use a fine tipped Sharpie and don’t press down too much while you’re writing, the messages should still be easy to read. We used Pampers at our shower – it could be that some brands of diapers are better for this than others. Hopefully some others will also add their experiences!

3. Anonymous says

Can you tell me some oof the other saying that were put on the diapers? I think that it would be great to write them ahead of time and use them as decoration.

4. says

There was a comment inadvertently left on the wrong post today stating “The sharpie on the diapers will bleed and stain clothes when they get wet.” and I wanted to address it. I have done the Late Night Diapers for two baby showers and have now spoken with both moms about this issue. They both say that they had absolutely no problems with the Sharpies bleeding and/or staining clothes. I can only guess that the people having these issues aren’t using permanent markers or that it has something to do with the diapers being used. With permanent Sharpies and Pampers, there were NO issues!

5. Anonymous says

It is best to use the diapers that are fabric/cloth like instead of the ones that are more of a plastic material(that allows the marker to smear on) Hope this helps. We had no problem…GREAT idea. Thanks.

6. Anonymous says

We had the late night diapers from 2 showers. One used pampers and that one seems to be fine but the other used a different brand (maybe luvs) and that one definitely gets all over everything.

7. Anonymous says

Martha Stewart needs you as her right hand – WOW thanks for the great ideas my sister’s baby shower will be even sweeter, much success to you!

8. says

Doing this for a friend’s sprinkle I’m throwing this weekend. Thank you for the wonderful idea. I also appreciate the helpful tips on using Pampers (or similar type diaper) and permanent marker. As a mom who cloth diapers, I would have no idea what to us. I know this will be much appreciated.

9. April says

Found this through Pinterest.

May I politely suggest that the statements written on the diapers are of actual encouragement? Lack of sleep tends to rob people of their sense of humor. A little kindness or a sweet pick-me-up during those times would have been much appreciated, but a sarcastic or witty zinger (like the bottom two of the posted examples) would have made me cry during that stage… even though I could laugh at them now that I’m no longer sleep deprived.

10. Anonymous says

Hi Kris. Thank you for all these great ideas! I love the late night diaper idea, but am a little nervous using even permanent pens as I would feel terrible if they ran onto clothes and ruined them. Have you had any negative feedback about this or would you say permanent pen is a pretty safe bet?

11. says

I’ve been looking on Pinterest for a little while for baby shower game ideas and I think most ideas out there are either cheesy, or take away from the overall “community” feeling of the party because everyone has their heads down trying to think of answers to some sort of word scramble or questionnaire . With that said, I love every idea you gave! Thank you so much.

• says

I used Glue Dots, which you can buy at craft/scrapbooking stores. They are kind of like the clear sticky stuff that holds credit cards to the paper in your junk mail – sticky but pretty easy to peel off.

12. says

I’m going to do this for my daughter’s shower, but she recently had a preemie. We decided to use separate pieces of paper (in baby related shapes) to slip in each diaper (we are concerned with the sharpies and their smell) That way, she will be able to save the well wishes instead of pitching them with each diaper.

13. says

I love the late night diaper idea! Do you by chance have an editable version of your label that you’d be willing to share? My sister-in-law is having a girl, so I’d like to modify the coloring a bit.

14. Anonymous says

Love this idea, putting a pink and white basket together for my best friends shower on Saturday! I appreciate the comment of using uplifting and encouraging messages, I will include this in my verbal instructions! I’m thinking we’ll do a separate bunch of diapers for “Daddy’s Late Night Changes” too. Thanks for the inspiration!

15. Anonymous says

Love this idea for my daughters baby shower. Would you happen to have a pink Late night diaper sign for a girl baby shower to print? thank you.

16. says

Love these baby shower ideas! Do you happen to have any clever bridal shower game ideas as well?
    I wonder about asking each guest to bring a picture of themselves as brides and have people guess who they are would be fun?

• says

It’s been two years since the shower now so honestly I can’t remember what everyone wrote! As I mentioned at the bottom of the post, in addition to the ones I pictured, there were some encouraging ones such as “Enjoy me, I’ll grow up fast!” and “Don’t ever doubt what a great mom you are”. Hope you have a fun shower!