Cowhides Layered Over Natural Fiber Rugs

While I was plugging away at the unglamorous job of removing the little bits of remaining kitchen wallpaper & glue this weekend (worst job ever), I busied my bored brain with planning some of the finishing touches for our home office. A bit premature given that I haven’t even pinned down the wall color from these black & charcoal gray colors I’m considering, but the final touches are the fun stuff. I’d like to bring some more texture and pattern into the space so I’m tossing around the idea of layering a cowhide rug over the large jute rug that is already in the space. For a look like this:

{House Beautiful}

Layering a cowhide over a natural fiber rug (like jute or sisal) is something that you see a lot in family and living rooms – you can get a totally different look depending upon the type of cowhide used:

{Elle Decor}

{ej interiors}

{for the love of a house}

{So Haute}

{Houzz – Ellen Grasso & Sons}

A cowhide layered over another rug can also be a beautiful look in bedrooms:

{Lauren Liess}
{Emily A. Clark}

And I think that a great cowhide can look fabulous in a home office:

{House Beautiful}

{van Wicklen Design}

There’s a huge price range for cowhides but you can often find them under $200 on ebay or Craigslist and IKEA’s KOLDBY cowhides sell for $199:

World Market has Brazilian and Light Natural Cowhide Rugs for $349.99 each:

Rugs USA has several cowhide rugs that are fairly pricey at their original costs but they often run sales of 50-60% off, which makes them more reasonable:

If you’re ok with dropping a bit more dough for a more unique cowhide, Wisteria has a beautiful Brazilian Speckled Cowhide Rug:

and Shades of Light has a unique Zebra Patterned Acid Washed Hide Rug:

I know cowhides are a love ‘em or hate ‘em kind of thing. What side of the fence do you fall on?

Comments

1. says

Ha! I already have 2 and bought another small one this weekend at the mart! I love them for so many reasons….this one is smaller and I may layer over my DR table or sofa….obsessed!

2. says

Kris, I love cowhides over sisal or seagrass rugs. I bought mine at Southeastern Salvage in Chattanooga for $189.00. I was thrilled with the great price & plan to buy at least one more. Not sure where you live, but SE Salvage has stores in AL & TN plus a few other states, I think.

• says

I WISH I had one of those stores near me. I think they are the sister company to Home Emporium, which we had in Cincinnati – they always had an awesome selection of cowhides but I had kinda forgotten about them. I bet I could talk one of my friends into a little shopping expedition there for me if I can’t find anything reasonably priced here. Thanks for the tip!

3. says

you know i love them! and yes, i think they’re great when layered….my fave are the white ones on the seagrass rugs…i just can’t do that in my house cuz of my 2 black labs….

4. says

They would look great in your office Kris! I would love to have one someday, just can’t decide on the pattern or color! Good luck with that wallpaper job – it’s a pain I bet. I’m just a bit busy with organizing my home and getting rid of a LOT excess stuff we have in the house!Oh, I’ve been busy decorating for my son’s upcoming birthday party, that’s the main thing I’m busy with more!

5. says

I LOVE ours in the living room, it’s light colored and has held up so well I’m thinking of layering it over our jute rugs in the family room that are showing some wear. One would look great in your office, what color/pattern are you thinking?

6. says

Love layering cowhide rugs! And the durability of these rugs are great for all of us with kids who spill anything red on a rug. Thanks for the roundup of sources!